Basketball ranks high on the list of the most popular sports. Increasingly, more people desire to take up basketball and participate in tournaments. As the world embraces this sport, the need for basketball coaches is also rising. The coach is a significant part of the game as they motivate the players and give them instruction and strategy. Does this profession interest you? If so, you must be looking for an answer to how to become a basketball coach. In this article, we’ll break down this process for you. After reading this post, you’ll know exactly the steps to take to become a successful basketball coach.
Essential Requirements to Become a Basketball Coach
Although there are various ways to become a coach, there are certain requirements that every aspiring coach should fulfill.
Get the right certification.
To begin your career under the Amateur Athletic Union, you should get high school or youth sports certification. These certifications can be drug testing and background checks.
Study for and earn a bachelor’s degree
To further your career, you must earn a bachelor’s degree in sports or other programs related to physical education. A great option is to study at a school that provides degrees in coach training. You could also think about working as a teacher alongside a coach. If you are working in high school, you have a high chance of getting a coach position.
Gaining the requisite experience is crucial for becoming a basketball coach. It is especially true for those desiring to coach an NBA team. Do you know that an experienced basketball coach can earn up to $40,645 a year?! Professional teams, such as those affiliated with the National Basketball Association, only hire coaches with extensive experience.
Ways to Become a Basketball Coach
There are several ways to become a coach. Here you get all those ways that will help you to become the best basket ball coach.
Select a coaching level
As you become more determined to pursue the profession of a basketball coach, decide on your coaching rank. Some professionals teach high school students, and others teach at the college level. Coaching grade school teams is a good option if you enjoy working with children. But if you want to spend your time with more experienced players, coach professional basketball or college-level students.
Many people start at the youth level. In the beginning, you’ll have to volunteer, but it will help you gain experience.
Expand your knowledge of the game
Are you searching for how to become a better basketball coach? Great coaches are always expanding their knowledge of the game. They do it by attending basketball coaching clinics, where experienced coaches share their knowledge. It also helps them network with others in their domain.
It’s also worthwhile to volunteer at a basketball camp. You can gain additional coaching experience through them, making you more skilled in your profession.
Find a mentor and become certified in your state.
Finding a mentor is a crucial part of knowing how to become a basketball coach. When you know about the experiences of working or retired coaches, you gain many insights about this profession. You will also get helpful ideas to kickstart your basketball coaching career. The easiest method to find a mentor is to contact local high school coaches.
Besides, you also need your certification to prove your expertise. High school and college basketball coaches need a teaching license, a certificate in first aid, and CPR. It would be wise to double-check the certification in your area with the state board, for example, the Board of Education.
Give an interview and get a coaching job
The next steps in becoming a basketball coach are creating your coaching portfolio, preparing for an interview, and getting a job. In your portfolio, write about your values, coaching philosophy, and expectations. Research the school or college you’re applying for and try to prepare your potential interview answers accordingly.
Some interview questions whose answers you should know include:
- How do you communicate with players?
- How do you carry yourself like a basketball professional?
- Do you also motivate student players to grow academically?
- What is your approach to dealing with angry parents?
You can apply as an assistant coach. Wherever you apply, be it coaching clinics, local centers, or regional tournaments, ensure to prove your prowess.
How to Develop Your Basketball Coaching Philosophy?
Every successful basketball coach has a distinct coaching philosophy. In fact, when you go for an interview, you’ll definitely get asked what your coaching philosophy is.
Here are some ways to develop it.
- Always be yourself– Incorporate the philosophies of successful coaches and try to become someone easy to work with.
- Be enthusiastic and organized – As a coach, you must show your passion and enthusiasm for the game. This will impact your players and their performance. Be organized so you can properly schedule practices, fame routines, and team camps.
- Don’t lose your integrity – Players look to you for guidance and trust you wholeheartedly. So, you must be an example and role model to them. Help them whenever they need it and be mindful of their needs.
- Communicate properly – Another important point to know how to become a better basketball coach is to practice effective communication. Interact one-on-one with players, schedule team meetings, and ask players for input.
- Pick a style of play – There are many styles of basketball. Some coaches stick to the track meet style for athletic players. Others prefer a slower-paced game, which is ideal for teams without quick ball-handling guards.
- Teach the correct fundamentals to players – To prepare your basketball team for success, you must equip them with the correct fundamentals and skills. Try to make the practices competitive and choose those drills that will contribute to your style of play positively.
- Move the focus away from the ‘win’ – Often, players feel pressured to win a game. But as a coach, you must direct their focus on enjoying the moment and putting in 100% effort. It prevents players from feeling shamed if they lose.
A basketball coach is remembered for achieving milestones such as championships and career wins. By now, you must have found a suitable answer to how to become a basketball coach. Kickstart this journey with a positive mindset, and you’ll surely achieve your career goals.